Battered Fried Chicken
Here is a variation of fried chicken. Instead of using the pre-made breading, why not make a batter instead? The batter crisps up really nicely and the chicken ends up being juicy inside. You can marinade the chicken with whatever ingredients you want. The recipe below is super basi and super simple.
You will need:
1 Kilo of chicken legs and thighs
1 cup of flour
½ tablespoon baking soda
1 ½ cups ice cold water
Oil for deep frying
Let’s get cooking:
2. Make the batter by adding the flour in a large bowl. Whisk with salt and baking soda.
3. Make a well in the center and add the egg. Whisk again.
4. Add the ice-cold water and continue whisking. Set aside.
6. Make sure that the oil is hot enough before frying. To test, drop some batter into the oil. If it sizzles right away and floats, the oil is ready.
7. Fry the chicken until golden brown. Do not overcrowd the pan because it will lower down the temperature. Flip to the other side.
8. Wait for the oil to get hot again before frying the next batch.
9. Drain on paper towels.
You can coat the chicken pieces in any sauce or glaze that you like. You can mix hot sauce, ketchup, and a little bit of soy, for something similar to buffalo chicken. Another option would be garlic, brown sugar and soy sauce. Or you can eat them as is. The chicken skin ended up being crispy and delicious. The meat inside was tender and juicy.
I hope you give this a go. Let me know how it goes in the comment section below.